Whether you are looking to start a family or suspect that you might be expecting, knowing when to test for pregnancy is key. Peek A Baby can help guide you through what to look out for in the early stages and when to test for pregnancy.
Before we get started on the guide, congratulations on this new and exciting pregnancy journey!
Understanding the Ideal Time for Pregnancy Testing
Determining when to test for pregnancy is a common question, and the answer largely depends on your menstrual cycle. For the most accurate results, it's recommended to wait until after you have a missed period. However, some early detection tests claim accuracy even before this time.
Understanding Your Menstrual Cycle
We understand that understanding your menstrual cycle can be complex, but we can help you break this down.
On average, a menstrual cycle will last for 28 days, but this can vary. The cycle begins on the first day of your period and involves the maturation and release of an egg from the ovary, known as ovulation. Following ovulation, the body prepares the uterus for a potential pregnancy. If fertilisation doesn't occur, the uterine lining is shed, marking the start of a new cycle.
Tracking your menstrual cycle not only helps you understand your fertility but also aids in predicting ovulation, making it a valuable tool for family planning. Recognising the regularity of your cycle allows for better timing when trying to conceive or, conversely, when seeking effective contraception.
Early Signs of Pregnancy: Your Body’s Clues
Understanding the early signs of pregnancy can be a helpful indicator of when to test for pregnancy. While signs and symptoms can vary, some of the more common signs to note include:
- Tender Breasts or Changes in Size: Changes in breast tissue is one of the earliest signs of pregnancy, causing swelling, tingly or swollen breasts.
- Increased Exhaustion and Fatigue: Hormones from pregnancy can cause fatigue.
- Spotting and Cramping: Light spotting or mild cramping can commonly occur when the egg implants itself into the uterine lining.
- Changes to Food Preferences and Appetite: Specific tastes, sudden aversions to foods or cravings are all common signs of pregnancy.
In recognising the signs, you can make more informed choices and feel more confident in when to test for pregnancy.
Peek A Baby Early Pregnancy Scans
Peek A Baby offer a range of pregnancy scans from 6 weeks onwards.
Our Early Pregnancy Reassurance Scans is available from 6 weeks; this offers women the reassurance that their pregnancy test result is accurate, confirms baby’s heartbeat and helps give a rough due date for your newest family member.
We also offer our Early Gender DNA Tests from 6 Weeks. These can be paired with the Early Pregnancy Reassurance Scans too. The Early Gender Blood Test is an NIPT that helps you determine your baby’s gender from as early as 6 weeks via a sample of mum’s blood.
Find out more on all of our scans today and book with your local clinic for your pregnancy scan.
The Benefits of Early Pregnancy Scans
Understanding the early signs and being confident in when to test for pregnancy can bring about a number of benefits.
- Providing Reassurance: Taking an early test and booking a scan to confirm can provide you the reassurance you need as you step into the next chapter of your life.
- Reducing Anxiety: Testing and getting confirmed results can recue anxiety that may be building within. Pregnancy is a big change so find your reassurance today.
- Planning and Preparation: Finding out about your pregnancy early can help you plan and prepare for your baby’s arrival in a matter of months.
- Bonding with Your Bump: Bonding with your baby is important and provides treasured memories throughout your pregnancy journey; start bonding as early as 6 weeks into your journey with Peek A Baby’s scans.
Contact Peek A Baby
If you want to find some reassurance if your early pregnancy test results, book in for your early scan with your local Peek A Baby today.
Alternatively, why not treat your loved one to a special early pregnancy scan by purchasing one of our gift cards. Available in all clinics. Gifts can also be purchased in clinic to provide an extra special touch.