Keeping your baby cool during the hot weather!
We are currently experiencing abroad like heat here in the UK, with temperatures soaring and reaching 35 degrees in some places. We spend most of the year longing for some sun and nice weather, but it is just too hot now! Well it could be for our little ones!
We have put a few ideas together to keep our babies nice and cool when the heat gets too much!
- Babies under 6 months should most definitely be kept out of direct sunlight, their skin has little or no melanin at this age, so they have very little natural protection from the sun’s harmful rays
- Apply a sunscreen of at least factor 30, find one that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. There are many brands out there that are specifically produced for our babies’ delicate skin
- Keep a hat on! Make sure your child’s head and face are protected by wearing a wide brimmed hat or cap, some even have a long flap at the back to also protect their neck.
- Run them a nice cool bath before bedtime or soak a flannel in cool water and place it on their head to help reduce their temperature.
- Keep a check on the temperature of their bedroom, try and keep it between 16 and 20 degrees Celsius, your baby will be most comfortable in this temperature.
- Make sure the clothes they are wearing are nice and light, indoors why not let them run around in just their nappy! This will ensure they are nice and cool, when popping outdoors make sure the skin is covered and protected by a nice breathable light fabric.
- Of a night-time, let them just sleep in their nappy with just a very light blanket, if it is too warm nightwear and bedclothes will only make them hotter.
We hope this advice helps and gives you some ideas of how to keep your little bundle of joy, cool, calm and happy in these hot temperatures!